Effortless Turkey Lasagna
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 8 servings
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (454 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each dried basil and oregano
- 1 jar (22 oz/660 mL) passata or prepared tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside
In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil over medium heat and brown turkey breaking up with a fork until fully cooked. Remove turkey from pan and set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet. Add peppers, onion, garlic, basil and oregano; cook stirring occasionally until peppers and onions soften. Stir in passata and cooked turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
In a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish, layer one third of the turkey mixture and top with three noodles to cover. Arrange one layer of zucchini slices over the noodles and top with another third of the turkey mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with the remaining three noodles and sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.