Apple Wheatberry Turkey Salad
Prep time: Cook time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat berries (hard or soft wheat kernels)
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 orange, peeled and diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) each chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (about 400 g) Ontario turkey breast slices or tenders
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- Pinch each salt and pepper
In large pot of boiling water, cook wheat berries partially covered for about 1 hour or until tender but still slightly chewy. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain well and place in large bowl. Add apple, orange, green onion, mint and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the cilantro; set aside.
Bring the orange juice, garlic and remaining cilantro to boil in a skillet. Add turkey, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, turning once or until no longer pink inside. Remove turkey from orange mixture and chop into bite size pieces. Add to wheatberries.
Bring remaining orange juice mixture to boil for about 2 minutes or until almost all the juice is evaporated. Whisk in oil, vinegar and mustard and pour over turkey and wheatberry mixture. Toss to coat evenly and stir in salt and pepper.
Tip: This salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Cook wheatberries ahead and drain and let cool completely. Place in resealable bags and freeze for up to 3 months. Let them thaw before using in the recipe.
Per serving: About 252 cal, 21 g pro, 5 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 32 g carb, 4 g fibre, 47 mg chol, 109 mg sodium, potassium 446 mg. %RDI: iron 17%, calcium 3%, vit A 0%, vit C 40%, folate 15%.