Nutty Pesto & Turkey Personal Pizzas
- 4 tbsp (50 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb (455 g) ground Ontario turkey*
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarse salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) pesto
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup (250 mL) Asiago cheese
Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large skillet on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onions and sauté for five minutes. Add garlic and sauté two minutes more.
Add ground turkey and sauté until completely cooked and starting to brown. Approx. 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Brush each pita with remaining olive oil. Season each pita with salt and oregano. Spread each pita with 1 tbsp of pesto. Divide turkey mixture evenly between the six pitas. Repeat with pine nuts and cheese.
Transfer pizzas to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
*Use leftover cooked turkey instead of ground!