Turkey Vegetable Risotto
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless Ontario turkey, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) diced red onion
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 oz (15 g) dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated
- Half a bunch (8 oz/227 g) fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 5 cups (1.25 L) hot turkey or vegetable broth (approx)
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil and cook turkey, stirring frequently until golden brown; remove to plate.
Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) to skillet, cook mushrooms for about 8 minutes or until tender and golden. Stir in onion, pepper and porcini mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
Cut asparagus into 3/4 inch (1.5 cm) pieces. Cook in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain and set aside.
In a large deep shallow saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Add rice; cook stirring for 1 minute. Add wine; cook, stirring constantly until almost completely absorbed. Stir in turkey broth about 3/4 cup (175 mL) at a time, stirring constantly and adding more when completely absorbed. Continue for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender but still firm in the centre. Stir in roasted garlic, mushroom mixture, asparagus and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cheese. Stir in salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with remaining cheese.