Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 bone-in skin on turkey thighs (2 lb/ 1kg)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15mL) garlic powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) onion powder
- 1 tbsp (15mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp (8 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cardamon powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground allspice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
Place turkey thighs into a large mixing bowl. Coat thighs with vegetable oil, and spread them out in the bowl. In a small bowl, combine the rub ingredients and mix well with a fork.
Sprinkle the spice mix over the thighs and rub into the surface, coating well. Set aside.
Place turkey thighs in roasting pan and roast in oven for 45 minutes or until internal temperature of 165 F (75 C). Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes.
Combine oil, lemon or lime juice, mustard, vinegar and salt and pepper in a small jar. Close lid and shake until fully incorporated. In a medium sized bowl toss cucumber and tomato together with vinaigrette.
Shred or slice turkey meat into bite sized pieces and serve with rice and salad.
Tip: For added flavour and texture sear the sliced turkey in a large skillet on medium high. Works best if thighs are allowed to cool completely before slicing.