Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 4 to 6 servings (6 cups/1.5 L)
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) boneless turkey breast
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 fresh or dry bay leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 8 mini potatoes (about 12 oz/375 g), halved
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crushed ginger cookies
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Cut turkey breast into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes and toss with thyme, salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and brown turkey. Place in slow cooker. Add onion, cloves and bay leaves.
Whisk flour into broth with vinegar and Worcestershire. Pour into slow cooker. Add potatoes; cover and cook on Low for about 6 hours or on High for 3 hours until turkey and potatoes are tender.
Uncover and turn heat to High. Stir in crushed cookies and parsley, if using. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove cloves and bay leaves before serving.
Tips: If potatoes are larger, quarter them.
For a variety of colour in your dinner look for the mixed colour mini bags of potatoes that include, red and blue potatoes.
Per serving including optional ingredients: About 337 cal, 6 g total fat, 44 g carb, 3 g fibre, 31 g protein, 62 mg chol, 380 mg sodium. %RDI: Iron 14%, Calcium 5%, Vit A 8%, Vit C 73%
Source: Ontario Turkey (ontarioturkey.ca)