Turkey Quinoa Salad with Cranberries
Makes: 8 Servings
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups (500 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 boneless, skinless Ontario turkey breast, about 1 1/4 lb/625 g, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby arugula
In saucepan, combine quinoa, broth, garlic and thyme; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Uncover and stir in cranberries; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and cook turkey and green onions for about 10 minutes or until browned and no longer pink inside. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, mustard and pepper.
Using fork, fluff quinoa into large bowl and stir in turkey mixture. Add arugula and stir to combine.
Makes 8- 1 cup (250 mL) servings.
Per serving: About 207 cal, 20 g pro, 4 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 23 g carb, 2 g fibre, 38 mg chol, 135 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 22%, calcium 4%, vit A 3%, vit C 4%