Turkey Cottage Pie
Makes: 8 Servings
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil
- 1 1/2lb (750 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each, dried thyme and sage
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) turkey or chicken stock
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen or canned mixed vegetables
- 1 can 14 oz. (398 mL) whole cranberry sauce
- 8 cups (2 L) potatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) heated milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 egg, beaten
In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add turkey, onion, garlic, thyme and sage; cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in vegetables, pour into 13 x 9 inch (3L) baking pan.
In small bowl, stir cranberry sauce until spreading consistency; carefully spoon over turkey mixture; spread evenly.
Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until soft; drain and mash. Mix in hot milk until fluffy. Stir in butter and egg. Carefully spread potatoes over cranberry sauce. Smooth top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) 20 to 25 minutes until heated through. Serve with cranberry sauce on the side if desired.
Nutrient analysis per serving: 465 calories; 15g fat; 22g protein; 62g carbohydrates.