Turkey Chili & Cheddar Melt
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) old Cheddar cheese, chopped in chunks
- 2 cups (500 mL) lettuce, shredded (optional)
In a large non-stick skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil. Brown ground turkey with onion, celery and garlic, drain if necessary. Add chili powder, cayenne, tomatoes and tomato paste; breaking up tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in kidney beans, cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Add Cheddar cheese chunks; simmer 3 minutes longer until cheese begins to melt. Spoon chili into soup bowls; top each serving with lettuce if desired.
Makes 4, 3/4 cup servings.