Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
Makes: 12 to 16
- 4 Ontario turkey thighs (about 2 1/2 lb/1.25 kg)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each ground cumin and oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried thyme leaves and smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) barbecue sauce
- 12 to 16 small corn tortillas, about 1 pkg (336g)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
Remove skin from turkey thighs and discard.
In a bowl, mix chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika and salt. Rub all over turkey thighs.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat and brown thighs in batches (if necessary) on both sides. Place in slow cooker. Reduce heat in skillet to medium heat and add remaining oil. Cook, garlic, poblano and onion for about 5 minutes or until softened. Scrape into slow cooker.
Whisk together orange juice and barbecue sauce and pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Using two forks, shred meat, and discard bones. Stir meat into sauce.
Divide turkey among tortillas and top with mango and cilantro to serve.
Turkey Breast Variation: Omit turkey thighs and substitute 2 boneless skinless turkey breasts. You can also use bone-in turkey breasts, simply remove the skin. Because the bones are smaller, you should remove the breasts from the slow cooker to shred the meat and remove the bones.