- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- ½ cup (120 mL) wine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme leaves
- 5 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp (0.60 mL) grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 fresh lasagna sheets
- 12 asparagus spears, blanched
- 1 Ontario turkey breast, cooked and sliced
- ½ cup (120 mL) dried cranberries
- 2 cups (500 mL) old cheddar cheese, grated
Pre-heat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
In a medium sauce pan, sauté the onions in the butter until tender and translucent. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Gradually add the milk and wine whisking throughout to ensure the sauce is smooth and creamy. Add the thyme, sage, nutmeg and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Bring a large pan of water to simmer over medium-high heat. Soften each lasagna sheet by dipping them one at a time in the water for one minute or less. Place two asparagus in the middle of each sheet and divide the turkey, cranberries and half of the cheese between the six sheets and roll.
To assemble, place half the sauce on the bottom of an 8″ by 12″ baking dish. Lay the cannelloni on the sauce, seam side down, and top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake in the pre-heated oven until the top is bubbling and a light brown, approximately 20 minutes.