Turkey & Bacon Mushroom Caps
Makes: 4 servings
What you need:
- 3 slices bacon cut into 1/4 inch (5 mm) slices
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil
- 1 lb (454 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- to taste salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) 10% cream
- 8 large mushrooms (or 4 Portobello)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter melted
Make it Super:
In small skillet, over medium heat, fry bacon until almost crisp
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat cook ground turkey until no longer pink. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
Add bacon to ground turkey mixture and stir in cream, just until moistened.
Cut stems from mushrooms, trim inside edge of cap to enlarge stuffing area; discard trimmings. Brush top of caps with melted butter and place top-down in baking dish. Fill caps with turkey filling. Bake at 425ºF (220ºC) 10-12 minutes or until caps are tender.
Tip: Use shredded leftover cooked turkey in place of ground turkey.