Slow Cooker Turkey Pizza Pasta
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: Approximately 9 cups
- 1 boneless skinless Ontario turkey breast (about 1 1/4 lb/600 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 turkey sausages
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 container (8 oz/227 g) petite/gourmet button mushrooms
- 2 cups (500 mL) pizza sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pkg (454 g) rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
Using a chef’s knife, cut turkey into 1 inch (2.5 cm) chunks and toss with oregano and oil.
Brown turkey in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and place in slow cooker. Brown sausages on all sides and remove to cutting board. Slice sausages and add to slow cooker.
Stir in onion, peppers, mushrooms, pizza sauce, water and hot pepper flakes, if using. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water; cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and add to slow cooker and stir to combine. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 10 minutes for cheese to melt and sauce to absorb into pasta. Stir to combine before serving.
Tip: Boil pasta ahead of time, drain and rinse under cold water. Pack in airtight bag or container and refrigerate. Simply add to slow cooker as in recipe.
Make this slow cooker meal overnight and pack it up in lunches for the next day, hot out of the slow cooker right into a thermos.
Turkey sausages come in a variety of flavours, choose the best one that suits your family’s tastes.
Per serving/1 cup: About 333 cal, 26 g pro, 4 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 49 g carb, 2 g fibre, 49 mg chol, 401 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 17%, calcium 8%, vit A 9%, vit C 74%