One Pot Turkey Alfredo
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless, skinless Ontario turkey breast, cubed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (354 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) tri colour rotini pasta
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen or fresh peas
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
In a bowl, toss turkey with Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the salt and pepper.
In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown turkey; remove to plate.
Reduce heat to medium and return skillet to heat. Saute pepper and garlic for 2 minutes. Add milk, water and remaining salt; bring to a boil.
Stir in pasta and browned turkey; reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook, stirring frequently for about 12 minutes or until pasta is tender and turkey is no longer pink inside. Remove from heat; stir in peas and cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until thickened and creamy.
Extra creamy variation: Substitute 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream for evaporated milk.
Tip: Looking for a Keto diet version? Use 3 cups (750 mL) chopped cauliflower or broccoli for the pasta and use the whipping cream variation instead of the evaporated milk. Reduce water to 3/4 cup (175 mL)