Miso Turkey Cabbage Dinner
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 4 servings (6 cups/1.5 L)
- 1 pkg (14 g/0.5 oz) dry mushroom medley or shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups (500 mL) hot turkey or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 1 pkg (450 g) extra lean Ontario ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white miso paste
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded Chinese cabbage (Nappa)
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each sodium reduced soy sauce and rice vinegar
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked rice
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
Soak mushrooms in hot broth for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving broth and chop mushrooms.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook turkey, garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes for about 8 minutes or until browned. Scrape into slow cooker.
Stir in mushrooms. Whisk flour into broth with miso. Stir into slow cooker; cover and cook on Low for 2 hours or on High for 1 hour. Stir in cabbage, red pepper, soy sauce and vinegar. Cover and cook on Low for 1 hour or on High for 30 minutes.
Serve spooned over rice and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Tips: You can cook this dinner in a large deep skillet stovetop if desired.
If you don’t have time to add the vegetables later, add them in the beginning with the turkey. The peppers and cabbage will be softer due to longer cooking.
If dry mushroom packages are not available, you will need 1/2 cup (125 mL) for the recipe.
You can purchase cooked rice and heat it in the microwave or simply bring 1 cup (250 mL) of rice to boil with 2 cups (500 mL) of broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 to 20 minutes.
Per serving including optional ingredients: About 420 cal, 9 g total fat, 57 g carb, 3 g fibre, 28 g protein, 68 mg chol, 544 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 24%, calcium 9%, vit A 23%, vit C 29%
Source: Ontario Turkey (ontarioturkey.ca)