Mediterranean Turkey and Rice Bowl
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless Ontario turkey breast
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking oil, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) sliced red onion
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or your favourite vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of salt and pepper
Slice turkey lengthwise to make 6 thin cutlets. Mix salt, pepper and garlic powder together in a small bowl and sprinkle each side of the turkey cutlets with the spice mixture. On a large plate or bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In two separate plates or bowls, place flour in one and breadcrumbs in the other. Dredge turkey cutlets first in the flour, second in the egg mixture and third in the breadcrumbs. Set cutlets aside on a plate or tray until ready to fry. Repeat until all six turkey cutlets have been breaded.
Heat half (2 tbsp/30 mL) of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 2 turkey cutlets for 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes or until each side is golden brown. Place cooked turkey on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining turkey, adding additional canola oil as needed.
In a large bowl, mix together rice, cucumber, red onion, tomato, canola oil, lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use or serve right away. Serve sliced turkey cutlet over top of the rice salad.