Lemongrass Ginger Turkey Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 8 cups (2 L) turkey or vegetable broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Thai jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded or diced cooked turkey (about 250 g)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- Sriracha or garlic chili paste (optional)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds
Pour broth into a soup pot and set over medium heat.
Cut top grassy part off lemongrass and discard. Gently bruise lemongrass with back of knife and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces; add to broth. Add garlic and ginger; bring to a simmer. Stir in turkey and rice; simmer for about 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
Stir in soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha if using to season.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Set aside lemongrass as enjoying the soup because it is too hard to chew.