Hot Turkey Knife & Fork Sandwich
What you need:
- 12 slices Texas toast or other thick cut soft bread
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) garlic butter or spread
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) celery, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh rosemary, chopped*
- 2 lbs (910 g) stuffing mix
- 5 1/2 cups (1.30 L) water or broth
- 3 lbs cooked Ontario turkey breast, warm
- 3 cups (750 mL) hot turkey gravy
- 3 cups (750 mL) cranberry salsa
Make it Super:
Spread each slice of Texas toast with garlic butter and toast well. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions and celery until tender. Add rosemary and stuffing mix and sauté for a few minutes more, stirring to combine. Add hot water all at once stirring to combine until mix is reconstituted and warm.
To assemble the sandwich, Layer ½ cup of stuffing on each slice of toast. Top with 4 oz of warm turkey and then top with ¼ cup hot turkey gravy. Serve with Cranberry Salsa!
For variation: try melting a slice of cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top!
*Dried rosemary can be used but reduce the amount to 3 tsp.