Grab and Go Turkey Muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
What you need:
- 1 ½ lbs turkey thighs or 3 cups (750 mL) cooked and chopped turkey
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas (frozen and defrosted or pre-cooked)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped broccoli (frozen and defrosted or pre-cooked)
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
Make it Super:
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- If using cooked turkey, skip to step 5. If using uncooked turkey, slice turkey thighs into 1-inch strips. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat until cooked through, 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Once cooled, chop into chunks.
- Add onions to pan. Sauté until translucent, 2-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli, peas and baby spinach. Cook until warmed through and spinach is wilted, 3 – 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs together. Add water and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a 12-piece (or 2 X 6 piece) non-stick muffin pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide cooked vegetables and turkey evenly among muffin cups.
- Divide cherry tomatoes evenly between each muffin cup.
- Equally divide egg mixture into each muffin cup leaving ½ centimeter of space at the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
- Let cool slightly and then remove from muffin tins.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: Batch-cook these muffins for lunches and snacks on the go and grab and run breakfasts throughout the week.
Per serving: About 199 cal, 9 g total fat, 5 g carb, 1 g fibre, 23 g protein, 220 mg chol, 112 mg sodium.
Recipe courtesy of Turkey Farmers of Canada. All rights reserved.