Fennel Spiced Smoked Turkey
Island Gurl Foods Turkey Seasoning
Makes 1/4 cup (60 mL)
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fine sea salt
1 tsp (2 mL) ground fennel
1 tsp (10 mL) garlic powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) smoked paprika
1. Place all ingredients in a small dish and mix thoroughly with a fork. Keep in an airtight container.
15 lb (6.8 kg) whole young turkey
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) IGF Turkey Seasoning
1. If turkey is frozen, thaw overnight on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
2. Add wood chips or pellets to your grill or smoker, preheat to 225˚F.
3. Fill the kitchen sink with a few inches of cold water, add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar, carefully add turkey (without splashing), and gently rinse the cavity and skin. Drain the water, pat turkey dry with paper towels, transfer to a roasting pan.
4. Spray turkey with olive oil. Season both sides of the turkey and cavity with the seasoned salt.
5. Transfer turkey to the grill grate, close lid, and smoke for 30 minutes per pound. Once time is up, check internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh and registers at 165˚F (74˚C).
6. Allow turkey to rest at least 30 minutes before carving to keep juices in. Serve as once with your favourite stuffing.
Source: Chef Raquel Fox (IslandGurlFoods.com)