BBQ Turkey Wings & Drumsticks
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 4 Servings
- 4 small Ontario turkey drumsticks
- 4 Ontario turkey wings, cut into 2 pieces (wing tips discarded)
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ketchup
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce
Place drumsticks and wings in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the water and discard water.
Barbecue Sauce: In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion for 2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder and hot pepper sauce, and remove from heat. Reserve half of the sauce.
Place turkey drumsticks and wings on greased grill over medium heat and brushing often with barbecue sauce. Cook for approximately 25 to 30 minutes (turning twice) or until juices run clear when pierced. Serve with reserved sauce.
Tip: For a spicier barbecue sauce, increase the hot pepper sauce.
Per serving: About 579 cal, 63 g pro, 25 g total fat (6 g sat fat), 22 g carb, 0 g fibre, 290 mg chol, 895 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 37%, calcium 8%, vit A 26%, vit C 14%